Balsamic Cherry Pie
- 3 and 1/2 lbs Cherries pitted
- 1 and 1/4 cup turbinado raw cane sugar
- 2 tablespoons honey
- 3 tablespoons Aged Black Cherry Dark Balsamic Vinegar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon cloves
- 1/2 cup flour
- 2 tablespoons corn starch
- 3 tablespoons butter melted
- 1 1/2 cups A.P. Flour
- 1 tsp. salt
- 2 Tbsp. granulated sugar
- 1/4 cup, plus 2 Tbsp. Butter Infused Olive Oil. NOTE: any mild flavor will do here.
- 1/4 cup ice cold water
- 1 tsp. apple cider vinegar or white vinegar
Place a baking sheet in the oven while it is preheating to 350 degrees F
- Whisk together the dry ingredients.
- Add the wet ingredients and blend together until a clumpy dough forms. The dough will appear oily and somewhat broken. This is normal.
- Turn the dough out into a pie pan. With your hands or the back of a measuring cup, begin to press the dough along the bottom and up the sides of the pie pan. Make sure the dough is not too thick in the corners and fill in any gaps or tears. Press the dough over the lip of the pie pan and trim off any excess with a butter knife.
- Place the pie shell in the refrigerator to chill while you make the filling.
- Prepare the filling. Bring the ingredients to a boil in a medium-sized saucepan over medium high heat, stirring every few minutes. Lower the heat and allow the mixture to simmer, uncovered, for 30 minutes, stirring every 5 minutes. Take care not to crush the cherries when you stir, as you want them to remain whole in the pie. At the end of the 30 minutes, the cherry filling should have thickened significantly. Remove from heat and set aside.
- Once the oven has reached 350 degrees, remove the pan from the oven. Working quickly, place the prepared pie shell in the center of the pan and pour the filling into the shell.
- Return the pie to the oven immediately and bake for approximately 50 – 55 minutes. The pie is ready to remove from the oven when a crust has formed over the top of the custard and the center is firm. The shell will be a golden brown.
- Allow the pie to cool completely before serving.